Below is an excerpt of a transcript of an article from The Daily Caller. In the article, the author visits a political rally where Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Bernie Sanders proposed truly barbaric things (Lucky for us someone was there to report on it so we could be warned).
In the article the author suddenly realized how easy it would be to fall into the trap of believing some of these truly horrifying ideas of this thing called Democratic Socialism. Here are a few of the key ideas the author brings up that she is sure will clearly ruin America:
- I saw how easy it would be, as a parent, to accept the idea that my children deserve healthcare and education.
- I saw how easy it would be, as someone who has struggled to make ends meet, to accept the idea that a “living wage” was a human right.
- Above all, I saw how easy it would be to accept the notion that it was the government’s job to make sure that those things were provided.
I mean, it’s obvious that thoese ideas will bring about the end of western civilization as we know it. Americans don’t want some nanny state where people see their tax dollars going to benefit someone other than the person who was forced to pay them, right?
So, here’s the problem with everything she is saying. The word “socialism” gets wielded around as a club by conservatives, mostly because calling someone a ‘commie’ doesn’t get the reaction it used to. It wouldn’t be such a huge contradiction if they didn’t love all of the socialist-like things that actually helped Make America Great The First Time Around.
Here are a few of the things that American brand socialism has paid for that conservatives enjoy using:
- The roads we drive on
- The bridges that dot the landscape
- Waste removal and treatment
- The sewer system, and water treatment that makes sure we have clean water (outside of Flint, Michigan anyway)
- Snow removal
- Hurricane relief
- The law enforcement community conservatives love, but conveniently forget how it’s paid for
- The Department of Homeland Security
- Customs and Border Patrol (they LOVE these guys)
- The entire military and their budget that goes up and up, as it’s funded with public tax dollars
- The Dear Leader’s Secret Service detail, the White House, etc.
- The freakin’ Pentagon
- The court system that conservatives want so many judges appointed to
- The public library system that our founding fathers founded
- The Postal Service
- The National Weather Service
- The health care our conservative Congress are guaranteed. And don’t forget the VA
I’m sure there are tons more, but I think you get the point
So, yeah… it’s pretty horrifying to think what would happen if we used public funds to invested in our children’s education and abilities to compete in the world’s markets.
So, is our government responsible for all of these things?
Or are we responsible for telling the government what we want it to be responsible for?
I don’t know… But I do know that a government is responsible for what the people it works for tells it to be responsible for.
If a company can suddenly now be a person (Citizens United)
If a company/person who is clearly performing an essential services (such as selling sparkle and glue like Hobby Lobby) can legally avoid having to pay for birth control
Then the sheer amount of actual people who are protesting and crying out for things like publicly funded education, and universal healthcare, should easily have more than enough credibility to ask for these things.